Did you know that ‘Meander’ means ‘To wander at random’? Which makes it a well-suited name for this beautiful part of our country. The Midlands Meander is all about slowing down, taking your time, relaxing and appreciating the beauty and nature around you. We take a look at some of the top places to visit in the Midlands.
Places to Visit in the Midlands
Make sure you visit these Midlands Meander gems on your next trip to the Midlands.
- Nottingham Road
No, it’s not a road, it’s actually a quaint little town on the R103. In this tiny, picturesque town you will find lots of picturesque shops and restaurants including the famous Nottingham Road Brewery where some local beer tasting is definitely in order.
- Howick Falls
For the most majestic, cascading water, you have to visit the 95-metre-high Howick Falls, located on the Umgeni River. Have a bite at the restaurant while you marvel at the gushing falls.
- Zulu Mpophomeni Township Experience
For a genuine Zulu Culture experience, stop by the historical township of Mpophomeni in the heart of the Midlands Meander. Here you will experience traditional Township homestays, Zulu dance and cultural entertainment.
Things to do in the Midlands
Make sure the following is on your list of things to do in the Midlands:
Stop by Terbodore Coffee Roastery where you will find supremely roasted coffee beans and beautiful landscapes.
- Unwind at the most peaceful Spa at Fordoun Hotel.
- Finish off your relaxing massage with a tasty Blueberry muffin from across the road at the cosy Blueberry Café.
- Spend a night at Netherwood self-catering cottages, fully equipped with fireplace and trout fishing dams on your doorstep.
Midlands Meander Accommodation
Relax and soak up the wonderful views at the Midlands Saddle and Trout Resort. Spoil yourself at the wellness centre or have a go at some trout fishing, canoeing or hiking.
- Tillietudlem Trout & Game Lodge in Howick is perfect for relaxing amongst the splendid views of dams and mountains and for a spot of trout fishing.
- Escape to the indigenous forests of the private Karkloof Nature Reserve where you will find luxurious, self-catering lodges that make up the Rockwood Lodge. Enjoy luxury accommodation and stay entertained with bird-watching, fishing, hiking or mountain biking.
Discover all the magnificent beauty that the Midlands Meander has to offer and let us find you the perfect accommodation to make your trip extra special.